Thursday, February 12, 2009

here we go

The doctor called with the pathology results and he started with "I have good news and bad news". After talking to the nurse and reviewing the report, I am going to modify it to "super good news, so what news and more news to come." The super good news is that the cancer has not spread to the lymph nodes and the margins look good (no cancer at the edge of the tissue they took from around the tumour). This means no more surgery. Pause for whoop whoop here!! The news that I have decided to say "so what" to is the tumour ended up being larger than they thought and my cancer is stage 2. Regardless of how big it ended up being, it is gone and they were going to treat me like I was stage 2 anyway (i.e. give me chemo) because of my age, so it really doesn't change anything there. The more news to come is for something unique they found. You all knew I was a little different...well now science has proved it. They found some other cancer cells in addition to the breast cancer cells in the tumour. This is apparently unusual and the doctors will be discussing it today as my case is being presented at "Tumour Boards" (can you believe there is a meeting called that?? when I get back to work, I am going to come up with catchier names for my meetings) to figure out what that all means. So that is a stay tuned, but I am expecting to soon file it into the "so what" category.

No comments:

Post a Comment